The Review of the new era of Microsoft’s Mobile platform , Windows Mobile7 aka WM7.
WM7 was released somewhere in 2010. I got my hands on the HTC 7 Trophy which is running on the WM7 platform as the Operating System. I took a gamble to try out a new OS as i chose it over the BlackBerry’s OS6, iPhone’s iOS, Android and Nokia’s Symbian.
I was told that WM7 contains alot of bugs and issues which diverted people’s attention away from it. Although i agree with those highlighted issues, I realized that the good side overshadowed the bad side of the WM7.
Now for the Point form review.
Windows Mobile Phone 7 :
Advantages (Pro’s) :
- Amazing UI graphics. Home screen simple and tidy, menus clear and detailed.
- Responsive. 1GHz Processor was pushed to the limit, no lag issues occurred.
- Facebook Sync. SIM contacts and Facebook contacts will appear under the People section thus making search for contacts easier.
- Marketplace. Neat and tidy compared to Apple’s AppStore.
- Games. High resolution games. HD graphics can beat most mobile gaming peripherals (PSP , Nintendo)
- Calender very useful. Works as a planner for me.
- HTC Hub (For HTC only).
Disadvantages (Con’s) :
- No custom ringtone. One of the highlight of the WM7 is the default ring tones provided which are limited. You are not allowed to choose your own music as a ring tone. (Shall be fixed soon)
- Slow Over The Air update. Phrase out slowly to limited users only. Lengthy.
- No history for Short Messages (SMS) eg : Drafts.
- Battery life. High graphics consumed battery faster.
- Small keyboard. Although the screen is huge, the keyboard sees smaller than iOS’s.
Worth trying. I loved the graphic layout and the UI is amazing. Microsoft did a good job with the WM7. Don’t worry , over the next few updates, we will see the WM7 improving soon. Looking forward to the next update.